Saudi Arabia has busted a large terror cell after two Saudis blew themselves up during a gun battle in Jeddah, the Kingdom’s second-largest city.
In addition to the two dead, 16 suspected terrorists have been arrested, including three Saudis and 13 Pakistani nationals, according to the Saudi Gazette.
The Kingdom has also named the two terrorists who blew themselves up on Saturday as Khalid Ghazi Hussain Al-Sarwani and Nadi Marzooq Khalaf Al-Mudhyani Enizi.
Enizi “had been arrested in 2004 on charges of having ties with hostile foreign elements, but was released in 2006,” Maj. Gen. Bassam Attia, director of the Investigations and Strategic Planning Center of the Interior Ministry, said.
Al-Serwani was allegedly linked to an attack in 2015 that killed a worshipper at a Shi’ite mosque in Najan in southern Saudi Arabia, according to Saudi officials. Al-Serwani had been “wanted in connection with numerous roles and engagements in terrorist incidents and was involved in espousing propaganda on the Internet and inciting people to fight in foreign conflict zones,” said a government statement.
Attia also said that that Hussam Al-Johani, the key suspect that was among the arrested, admitted that he had acted on instructions from Daesh and provided a hideout location for the two suicide bombers who carried out the attack on forces in the Al-Harazat district in Jeddah.